The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston classifies transfer students as applicants enrolled in dental schools accredited by the American Dental Association (ADA). Advanced-standing applicants are classified as graduates of dental schools not accredited by the ADA. Both transfer applicants and advanced-standing applicants will be considered for admission only if space is available in the appropriate class. Preference is given to Texas resident applicants. Mail all application materials to:
Office of the Registrar
University of Texas Health Science Center
7000 Fannin, Suite 2250 UCT
P.O. Box 20036
Houston, TX 77225-0036
- Online application
- $60 non-refundable application fee payable to UT Health Science Center at Houston, prior to consideration.
- Applications must be submitted, along with all required documents, no later than March 1 of the year of entry.
All eligible applicants will be considered by the Committee on Admissions subject to the following requirements.
International Dental Graduates - Graduates of Dental Schools Not Accredited by American Dental Association (ADA)
Requirements governing admission of advanced-standing applicants to the second year are as follows:
- Must not have been out of pre-doctoral dental school for more than five (5) years at the time of acceptance or must have completed a two (2) year postdoctoral program accredited by the ADA within the past five (5) years.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Applicant must provide adequate translations (if applicable).
- Must have passed Part I of the National Board Examination. Part II scores are desired.
- Applicants from countries where English is not the native language are required to submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information may be accessed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A letter of recommendation from the chief administrative officer of the college, university or dental school in which the applicant was last enrolled.
- An interview will be required prior to an offer of admission. Those selected for interview by the committee will notified.
Individuals who graduated from an international dental school more than five (5) years before submitting their application for advanced standing, or who have not completed within the past five (5) years an accredited postdoctoral program of at least two (2) years duration, are not eligible to apply for advanced-standing admission.
Transfer Student Applicants Enrolled in ADA-Accredited Dental Schools
Requirements governing the admission of transfer students are as follows:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Applicant must provide adequate translations (if applicable)
- DAT Scores. National Board Scores (if applicable)
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the dental school in which the applicant is enrolled.
- Curriculum of the school attended must be compatible with that of The University of Texas School of Dentistry.
- A personal interview is required before the Admissions Committee will consider the completed application.
- No transfer beyond the second year.
- Students accepted into this program will pursue the prescribed dental course of study and be required to complete satisfactorily published graduation requirements for Doctor of Dental Surgery candidates.
No plan for admission or reporting to The University of Texas School of Dentistry should be made until official written notice of acceptance has been received. Questions regarding financial aid eligibility should be directed to The UT Health Science Center at Houston, Office of Financial Aid, (713) 500-3860.