Skip Navigation
Multi Photo Banner
Education Header Image

Program History

The Department of Preventive Dentistry was established in 1958 by Dr. Richard Jennings at the University of Texas School of Dentistry. It remained the Department of Preventive Dentistry until 1982. That year, the specialty recognized terms of “pedodontist” and “pedodontics” was changed by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry to “pediatric dentistry” and “pediatric dentist.”

With the exception of years 1993-1999, we have always been a stand-alone department. During this period of time, our department was combined with the Department of Orthodontics into a single department known as the Department of Craniofacial Growth and Development. This new department was comprised of the Division of Pediatric Dentistry and the Division of Orthodontics.

Initially the primary clinical location for our program was Texas Children’s Hospital. However, selected residents might spend their second year of training at Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi. This yearly rotation to Driscoll ended in 1980.

In 1985 the clinical portion of our postgraduate program moved from Texas Children’s Hospital to the School of Dentistry.

In 1994 our postgraduate clinic moved to its current off-site location within the Houston Medical Center Building.